Saturday, November 06, 2004

Memories….

An interesting item on the ‘to do’ list of this trip was taken care of today with great pleasure. It consisted in meeting and interviewing a very elderly professor that knew well and worked with my uncle (then Minister of Education) in the 1930’s.

The spry 99 ½ year old gentleman was a delight to talk to! His vivid memory of episodes of his life and of his dealings with people and projects are remarkable.

The 5’2” tiny man was impeccably dressed in a grey business suit and tie, anxious for my visit, which I had promised since last year when in Tirana. With a twinkle in his eyes and a firm voice he began to recount for me some of the experiences he had while serving as a physical education instructor in the northern city of Shkoder and then as the Sport Inspector for Albania under the leadership of my uncle, whom he praised immensely.

He speaks fluently several languages and has traveled extensively abroad in the 1920’s and 30’s, when he also happened to attend the Berlin Olympics while on a business trip there. At my instinctive question of how he got to this venerable age in such a good shape, smilingly, he replied : “I sleep 7 hrs a night, exercise for 1 ½ hrs upon rising, have a big breakfast, a normal lunch, end the day with a glass of milk and some additional exercise. In between I keep busy with many activities and make use of my lab at home for odd and end jobs of carpentry, electrical, and whatever else….”.

During his tenure he planned and supervised the building of the first large outdoor sport field and facilities for Albanian students in Shkoder, which he planned with my uncle and was proud to have worked so closely with him in many other projects. He offered to share with me some of the pictures he has on this subject, but I assured him that I am also lucky enough to have some of these mementos in my family records. During his later years he planned and designed several “children gardens” and recently even a “senior people center”, which is today fully functioning in Tirana.

Next May he’ll be 100 years old, and knows that the Mayor is planning to have a celebration of this event, which may include 35 other centenaries. I would love to be part of it; meanwhile, I’ll submit his name and biography to the current Ministry of Education suggesting that he be bestowed also a very special decoration on that occasion.

Upon leaving him, I am embarrassed by his help in getting my jacket on, which he insisted in doing, and we merrily walked the long path, covered by vines and citrus trees, that extend from his house to the street gate where we bid each other goodbye, with big hugs, Albanian style.

No comments: