Saturday, November 05, 2005

Book fair

Annually there is a book fair in Tirana and it’s held at the “pyramid” (see picture below). This modern structure in the newest part of the city was built as a museum dedicated to the ex dictator, Henver Hoxha, during his life time. Since then, it’s used for large exhibits, or gatherings due its enormous size, and it also has been abusively used by children, who slide down its outside walls that lend themselves to this kind of fun. After all, it’s located in the middle of one of the many city parks!

I remember being quite impressed by the shape and magnitude of this construction when, in 1996, I was a guest at a huge public Mother’s Day celebration organized in it. A beautiful show was offered by performing children of all ages, followed by some speakers. I also remember the long walk I had to take to go center stage when, unexpectedly, I was asked to be an active participant by giving my comments about the whole affair. Unbeknown to me though was the fact that the show was televised, thus I was surprised to see myself on the tube that evening while having dinner with friends.

Today, after lunching with a well known Albanian historian at an Italian restaurant, we strolled to the park and entered the pyramid to see the book fair. I was impressed by the massive amount of exhibits and stands, displaying, on three floors, an enormity of published material of all sorts and for every taste. This affair lasts a few days and it attracts people also from neighboring countries. Entire school groups were also being ushered in, while I was there, and attended a special presentation of a modern version of a republished dictionary of a famous late author, which now includes additional entries taken from ancient languages. Interesting was the debate over the pro and con of the “orientalization” of the added material.

Many were the publishing houses represented in the fair, and there were loads of people roaming around, but I did not see a lot of sales taking place. The prices are still too high here for the general Albanian public, who is, however, a very keen reader and always ready to search for new and interesting material. That’s probably why dozens of daily newspapers do a booming business instead in this city.

No comments: