Saturday, May 13, 2006

It happened on the way.......

Funny day, today!

After not feeling well all week, and finally enjoying some sunshine in a calm Saturday in Tirana, I decided to take it easy and relaxed myself with a soothing pedicure at a new lovely beauty salon recommended by a friend. I was prompt for my 11 o’clock appointment and so was the young lady owner, who had just finished blow drying another lady. At the entrance, as she was greeting me, I also hear my name called by another customer, who was very surprised to see me there. I’ve known the other lady and have followed, for quite a few years now, her career in the banking system here that led her to become a VP of marketing for one of the largest financial institution in this capital. This was the first surprise of the day, but another interesting experience followed soon thereafter.

A few days ago my attention was attracted to an eloquent blog of a Canadian woman that claimed to be living in Tirana and enjoying very much, with her husband and dog, her stay here. From the little hints in her comments and some of the beautiful pictures she included in her blog, I got a strong feeling that she might be living in the same building where I also reside while here. Sure enough, today, my impression was confirmed as correct. As I was entering the elevator to come home, after a leisure lunch out, she was exiting it to walk her dog and I recognized them both from the pictures in her blog. Surely it’s a small, small world out there, made even smaller by the Internet connections!!

Today I had a hot lunch at a nearby restaurant that I patronize from time to time when in Tirana because of its convenient (for me) location, and, every time with a big smile, I am greeted by name by one of the young waiters that is always eager to serve me. As an aside, I wish to mention an interesting (for Americans) fact that, in a country such as this, unfortunately still plagued by corruption at many levels, no tip is expected when eating out. Most people just round off to the nearest dollar the total as presented, but the service, regardless, is always very pleasantly performed.

Today my waiter encouraged me to eat outdoors, and proceeded to show me the great inside courtyard recently renovated by the owner. This restful and peaceful area, recessed from the street, includes bar and restaurant facilities, a huge outdoor pizza oven, a functioning well, and swinging lounges. To complete the serenity of this scene there are several hanging cages with colorful birds, green trestles and potted exotic plants, a display of ancient artifacts and tools, as you can see from the pictures below. The air is filled only by the low key chit chat of the few customers, the chirping of the birds, and the cooing of a pair of large and fat pigeons that feel very comfortable roaming around, undisturbed, in search of more food. Europeans in general, even if poor, really know how to carve out some enjoying moments in their daily lives. In surroundings like these the troubles of the world seem so far away!

No comments: