Friday, August 18, 2006

Blissful time

A last minute invitation from friends to spend a long weekend out of town found me eager to leave metropolitan NY.  I am always ready to take off , since, basically, I am a country gal at heart, but had to live in the city most of my life. Thus, on Friday morning we headed northward to central-western Connecticut. In the Danbury and Candlewood lake region, at the foothills of the Berkshires, in a very peaceful residential community my friends have a full size, comfortable home, where I’d been a guest previously.

After  lunch at a local restaurant and some shopping in the early afternoon, we just relaxed on lounge chairs in the large screened patio, which is also setup for leisure dining at any time.  This comfy layout faces the big backyard with its green lawn, shaded by tall oak, white and silvery birch trees, and thicker woods in the background, where a host of small fauna has its home.  

A small water fountain, activated from the porch, provides a refreshing gurgle nearby and the closest trees are set up to feed a variety of colorful birds, squirrels and chipmunks, whose relentless dynamics do not disturb this quiet and peaceful atmosphere.







It’s amazing how just being in this serene environment, so far removed from the hustle, bustle, and noise of city life, and watching the almost imperceptible activities of these smaller living creatures, can clear one’s mind, and bring tranquillity to the spirit.  I enjoyed just as much the interesting conversations that took place at every unhurried meal that provided for me a welcome interlude in my normal city daily routines. On the whole, I recharged my cerebral batteries by being for a few days in a suspended state of animation, but in good company for which I am grateful.

No comments: