Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Latest news

Being so close to Italy, every time I turn on the TV I cannot escape seeing the latest happenings there, and for the past 3 days the number one issue is the tragic state of affairs in Naples about the garbage that hasn't been picked up because they ran out of landfills!

There is actually a revolt on the part of this Italian city population, who is now buried under 13,000 tons of garbage, and is keeping the firemen busy by burning all this trash in loco (120 interventions in just a few hours)! The scenes are horrific, and the health situation is becoming increasingly risky with the dioxins being released by the fires into the air. The city Mayor (a woman) has declared a state of emergency, and she has closed also the public schools involved in the affected areas. I guess Tirana's situation does not look so bad anymore regarding this subject - at least the garbage is picked up regularly, including Sundays.

This week even a new truck appeared!

The latest frenzy in Albania instead is the forecasted visit by Pres. Bush on June 10th, just before the presidential elections in this country, since this is the first time of a US president's visit. A complete stand still of its chaotic traffic is expected for that day in Tirana. While some foreign articles (such as the one in Forbes) continue to advocate future investment possibilities, today's local papers are speculating on at least 3 different alternative routes to bring the presidendial caravan safely into town and indicate that Mrs. Bush will be visiting the National Museum of History, while her husband is in meetings.

Meantime, I'm preparing myself (mentally and physically) to go back to NY soon, since I've accomplished what I could do so far here, and will probably return after the summer. Daily life in Tirana is so easy going, compared to NY, but much is now waiting for me there. So I need to roll up my sleeves: close house here, and open house there!

No comments: