Saturday, March 22, 2008

Quiet Holiday weekend

The long religious holiday weekend has started here in Tirana, and I look forward to it, since it’ll provide for me a respite from official appointments, while allowing me to handle all sorts of paperwork that requires my continuous attention.

Contrary to the U.S., the Easter Sunday festivities in Europe traditionally spill over into Monday and it’s the perfect excuse for people to travel and take a spring break with the whole family. In Italy this Monday is called “Pasquetta” (or small Easter), while, in Albania, this coming Tuesday, I am told, is also a holiday (Novuz ??) in the Bektashi faith. Every religious conviction here is respected, and celebrated in peace with family and friends, with no great fanfare or interference from anyone else.

Unfortunately, this year the weather is not cooperating for great outings in Europe. Almost every country is inundated by continuous rainstorms and low pressure atmospheric conditions, and in many places the snow has reappeared even at lower altitudes. I feel quite comfortable in my apartment thanks to the available electricity, which allows me not only to be online, but to turn on and off my heating units as I need them.

The terrible accident of last Saturday near Tirana (widely covered by international media) that has claimed many lives (~ 20 so far confirmed dead) and produced enormous destruction of properties (> 380 buildings pulverized & 4000 displaced people) has caused a flurry of activities also in government, but it has not damped spirits. Albanian economy is moving along on a positive path, as confirmed also by the foreign press, and yesterday’s article from Sofia is a good compendium of this view.

Once my loyal Albanian friends know that I am here, they come visiting and, as usual, I am enjoying catching up on their news and feelings. Since I am now expecting company, I close this with greetings for everyone, everywhere!

No comments: