Sunday, August 31, 2008

Seasonal changes

This is the long Labor Day weekend in the U.S., which is usually considered the summer's official end, and many are the changes taking place at this time.

Vacations for most come to an end, and students return to school; the hot temperatures begin to subside a bit, and the hurricane season is in full swing; summer sales are displayed everywhere, and the shops are gearing up to show the fall collections.

While "Gustav" is blowing its way into the Gulf of Mexico at 150 miles per hour, and the south-west coast of the U.S. is being evacuated by millions of people, the New York scene is the calmest ever. The residential streets are not trafficked, the movement of people everywhere is at its slowest pace, and even the large and tall apartment buildings seem empty.

I enjoy peace and quiet in my apartment all year around, but during this time I have the feeling that the world has come to a complete stop: there is total silence everywhere! This helps greatly my work at home that has kept me busy throughout these past few months.



In another week, the outdoor pool that is made available during the summer at the sports facility I belong to, will be closing. The aqua aerobic classes I try to participate in regularly will move indoor again, in the Olympic size complex -- the only one of this size in this city.

Although my work now is strictly on a volunteer basis, even when I was fully employed I always took my vacation after Labor Day. That's why now I feel that I could really use a chunk of time off that must, however, take place somewhere else, to be able to get the benefits of R(est) and R(elaxation).

For now, though, goodbye sunscreen, and sun glasses....it's actually time to plan the usual fall travel to Albania, with more meetings and projects on the agenda!

No comments: