Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Holiday rush made easy

Everyone seems to be rushing around more these days, and the pressure to meet holiday deadlines is on. The weather is not helping much since the days are so short and gloomy from the lack of sunshine, at least here in New York.

But, thanks to online facilities the chores of making contributions, exchanging news with, and greeting friends and family at this extremely busy time of the year is a breeze. Bless Internet!

The writing of holidays cards, especially when one had to address a long lists of names, used to be a time consuming task, but no more. Personally, in the past couple of years, I've reduced the handwriting to a dozen cards, only to the people that still depends on snail mail. The rest of the exchanges flies in seconds to all sorts of destinations thanks to a paid subscription that keeps track of all the contacts I maintain not only for the holidays, but also for birthdays, anniversaries, and all sorts of special occasions.

The same concept applies to my contributions, which can be scheduled and prompt me in due time to take care of them wherever I may be, and also to gifts ordering that cuts down trooping around in bad weather or traffic conditions.

I prefer to be on the giving, rather than the receiving end of these exchanges, since personally I've reached the age when there is no need for special gifts. A simple greeting would do, or a donation to the causes dear to my heart would make me happy. My close friends know what these are, but some still continue to remember me with flowers or plants, such as the one delivered by hand today, which will bloom throughout this season, but eventually will die out. Meantime, it'll keep me company right on my desk - thank you my friend!

No comments: