Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Today's travel

Just some notes to let me my friends know I've arrived safe and sound in Tirana this afternoon.

Delta could have left NY "on time" (notwithstanding the snowy weather and the previous night storm) if it was not for a passenger that didn't show up, while his luggage was checked in (!?!). Regulations about this sort of mystery require that the bags must be removed from the airplane, if the passenger does not make the flight. Thus, we lost more than 35 minutes doing that....Then the transatlantic crossing was disturbed by some turbulence during the trip, but no major problem. However, we lost additional time during the flight due to contrary winds, and thus arrived in Milan more than an hour later than expected (10am).

By this time I had kissed goodbye to my connection for Albania, but, to my great surprise, I was nonchalantly told by Alitalia that their fight to Tirana was delayed and still at the gate, so I rushed like crazy to catch it.

When I got there, I found many Albanians quietly waiting, with forlorn faces, but not even a soul of a staff to answer queries....For a moment I thought I missed the flight, but that was not the case. It was scheduled for 12noon, but no one bothered to announce the change! Finally one woman showed up at 12, and took her sweet time to answer questions and then to check everyone.....

At this moment more surprises were to come. Usually these flights are accessed via the movable stairs, after a bus delivers you along the plane, which is parked somewhere in the open spaces of the airport. This time the short bus ride downloaded the passengers instead near an entrance into a tower like building. Here everyone had to climb two (2) flights of round about, marble stairs only to find the usual tunnel that leads to the plane’s entry door. Not a moaning was heard, not even from an elderly couple and a mother with baby, who were having extra difficulty ascending with their hand luggage and paraphernalia in hand….this new, whole approach of getting on board left me totally dumbfounded!

Last, but not least, before our arrival in Tirana 2 1/2 hours later, the meal service served on board. Up to last year it used to be a tiny sandwich, plus a slice of cheese and a small dessert. Now it’s called a special treat and it consists only of 2 tiny cookies, or 2 (Italian style) saltines….. your choice of course!

Rinas airport was bustling with activities and an enormous movement of passengers and luggage. I never saw previously so many planes from varied airlines on the tarmac; but everything moved along pretty quickly. With the usual courtesy at passport control I was again recognized of being of Albanian origins, and thus exempted from paying the required entry fee for foreigners, although I carry an American passport. Albania is coming up in the world!

No comments: