Saturday, July 01, 2006

Peaceful time in NY


Half a year has gone by very quickly, it seems. It’s Independence Day time already and this long weekend, started since Thursday for many in the working population, is enjoyed by most either at or away from home. During a holiday such as this, a lot of people usually plan to escape from their daily surroundings, and travel to the beach, the country, or even abroad.

I, instead, thoroughly look forward to the peacefulness and relaxation that engulfs not only my apartment, but this city, especially the area of Manhattan where I live, when its frenetic life comes to a screeching alt! I always had such a pleasure, even before my retirement, since I’ve lived in the same building for the past 42 years.

Sometimes now, I hibernate for days (yes….in the middle of summer!) in my very comfortable air conditioned environment since I am lucky to be able to work and follow up on my many projects right here, in my own residence. This is what I’ve done in the past few days, but since yesterday I am also enjoying the gentle, non humid breeze that finally flows in from my windows exposed south and westward.

More thunderstorms and high humidity are forecasted again from tomorrow on, but, even when my windows are shut I can look out toward the greenery that surrounds my apartment even at its 7 floor height! Trees that were mostly non existent when I came to NY more than 50 years ago are now lining practically every street or avenue, and most high raisers are accessed through path and drive ways surrounded by manicured gardens and gurgling fountains.

A happy and glorious 4th of July to you all!


2 comments:

Miss Kim said...

HI Drita!
What a lovely photo and blog post. It must be really amazing to have seen the changes in your neighbourhood over the past 40 years. It looks lovely and peaceful as you say!
Kim

© DAI - 2004-2014 said...

Hi Kim!
Glad to hear from you, "traveller one"! My pixs cannot be compared to your gorgeous shots, but, yes, I can reminisce a lot about NYC and its transformation...a life time worth!
< thank goodness without being bothered by age....;-)...>
Keep cool!
Drita