Thursday, July 13, 2006

Sorrowful chore

After lots of postponements due to a variety of reasons, I finally tackled the dismantling of my oldest Pentium computer. It has been idle for quite a while, and although it’s one of the earliest models, it’s still a perfectly functioning machine that served me well for over 10 years!  

I’ve tried to get rid of it by donating it, but no one I know wanted it. Its system unit (full tower desktop) is too bulky, while its monitor is too small for today’s taste for larger screens. It’s also not easy for me to deliver it to the dumping grounds that are setup twice a year in Manhattan for this purpose.  In any case, I still had to undertake the big chore of destroying its content.

Sometime ago I downloaded a special program to accomplish this task, but didn’t have the nerve to use it… and wondered why. Today I put all excuses aside, and got down to do the job. Inexplicably, I was hesitant to start the process, but when I did, somehow, I realized why I almost unconsciously kept postponing it.  It felt like …..performing euthanasia!  While, from time to time, I was watching on the screen the ongoing data and software blanking process, I felt sadness about the demise of a useful friend destined to the dumps!  The noiseless, but constant  agony lasted for 1 ¾ hour!  

So long my buddy!

No comments: