Sunday, April 29, 2007

Day of rest

What a gorgeous day this Sunday! We have had beautiful weather in Tirana for over 3 weeks now, but the forecast for the next few days is for badly needed rain.

I was invited by some local friends to lunch with them out, and we had an excellent fish meal at a restaurant I had discovered last fall, called “Peshku", which, BTW, is within a short distance from my apartment.



They wanted me to have a taste of a variety of fish, and, after a delightfully crunchy mixed salad, with a light dressing of good olive oil and balsamic vinegar, I enjoyed 4 different types of beautifully grilled fish, served with mixed vegetables.

There I had an interesting encounter, when a couple of gentlemen entered the dining room. One of them, whom I’ve met several times over the years in NY, and still works there as an Albanian government representative, was very surprised to see me here, and we exchanged greetings.

Right next door to the restaurant there is an Italian company, called ‘gelateria artigianale’that, I know, produces excellent varieties of ice cream ('gelato’ made according to home recipe), but we decided to walk a bit. A while later, my friends and I stopped at an Albanian and Macedonian pastry and ice cream parlor where they wanted me to try a local product. The menu offered a huge variety of flavors and combinations, including some which were also named American style (ie: ice cream sunday, what else?). Excellent stuff!

It was great to stroll along an unusually non crowded Rr. Durresit on a Sunday afternoon, when the traffic, normally impossible to cope with, was very light and it was not a problem to cross the avenue -- during the week this is quite a feat!



A great contrast, hidden just a block away from this renovated and modern thoroughfare, there are narrow winding streets still populated by ancient structures, obviously still in use, and dominated by a maze of electrical wires and cables amazingly hanging in midair……

Overall a very relaxing and pleasant day!

No comments: