Thursday, September 01, 2011

Stormy weekend

Irene's fury passed over NYC on Sunday morning.

It found a city completely shut down thanks to a well implemented disaster plan, and moved northward all the way to Canada.

From the cozy inside of my apartment I took some shots and the above videos, while listening to radio and tv broadcasts that kept the population continually abreast of developments all along the Eastern Coast of the U.S.

The concerns in Manhattan proper were obviously related to highrise dwellings that could produce falling glass, stoppage of elevators, and emergency equipment due to electrical and water outages. All buildings located at the tip of this island were evacuated also due to floods from the high tide coincidence of our rivers and water bay. Luckily, I live on the upper end of this borough, and thus was spared such dire forecast.

The real damages are felt only now all around us with still 900,000 people without electricity, on Long Island, and north and west of the city, even in the state of New Jersey, where many large areas have been totally submerged by cresting rivers.
The damages are calculated in millions, and the water is not expected to recede until the end of this week.

Meantime, the meteorologists are already closely following the development of other upcoming hurricanes, named Katia in the Atlantic and Lee in the Pacific. Thus, more bad weather is coming by next weekend, the traditional end of summer Labor Day week.


2 comments:

nmcewan said...

Hi Drita,

I am an American woman engaged to an Albanian man. He has been in the US for 11 years, but recently asked me if I would move to Tirana with him. Having never been there, not knowing much about the culture, and not speaking the language, I have my reservations, but am willing to consider. Your blog has been very helpful. I would love it if you could create a post about things to be considered before moving to Tirana.

Thank you

© DAI - 2004-2014 said...

Hi NMcewan:

Am glad that some of my postings may have been helpful to you. Since I'm deeply involved with Albanian life and have had a variety of experiences during the past dozen years of traveling back and forth to my country of origin, but also due to current time constraints on my part, it's not going to be easy for me to think thru and create an appropriate list such as the one you are referring to. If you, however, have a couple of specific questions of particular interest to you, I'll be happy to reply to the best of my ability, even offline.