Sunday, October 23, 2005

Among old friends

Sometimes I don't realize how many friends I have here in Tirana. A few phone calls, and everyone is happy to hear I'm back in town, and eager to meet again.

I have to remind myself that timing here is different than in the States, or even Italy. People get up early and offices are open, non stop, from 8am to 3pm. Lunch is at home afterwards, and, after some rest, they go out again in the evening for a stroll, shopping, or to visit. Thus, dinners are usually late and even phone calls are made well into the evening.

Yesterday, I was a guest of a couple, friends of mine since childhood, at a large and pretty restaurant in the newest part of the capital. The ambience was rustic, but the place was furnished in good taste. The food at this "Tavernetta" was excellent. Most restaurants nowdays have, as a first course, a self service, 'salad buffet' with a variety of dishes that includes all sorts of grilled vegetables, burek (stuffed phyllo), fish antipasto, and yogurt (largely used here).

The meat is also very good. When I ordered a grilled steak the waiter warned me not to expect a thick American piece....and I smiled, knowing that it was quite different. The meat is very thinly cut and large, and very tasty. The portions are very satisfying, and the bread is deliciously fresh every time!

There is not a great variety of desserts, but the creme caramel is forever present, and extremely light and yummy.

1 comment:

shqipo said...

Yum! Salad bars are in fashion now in Albania? wow!