Sunday, November 12, 2006

An ideal Sunday

Today it turned out to be a warm Sunday in more than one sense. The weather was just perfect - sunny and no wind - and one family of friends came to visit making the day a very pleasant get together. We hadn’t seen each other for several months so we had a lot to catch up with.

While imbibing aperitifs at my place I was able to convince them to have a leisure lunch with me at one of Tirana e Re restaurants. This most modern district of the capital is a very busy and crowded business center during the work week, but today it was a pleasure to walk along its tree lined, almost deserted avenues. Few the strollers on the streets, but quite a few families inside the “Tavernetta” that offers a large, self service salad bar, and good main courses. A bottle of good Sangiovese Tuscany red wine accompanied our meal, which lasted more than a couple of hours.


On the way back we ended up making a couple of stops. Days ago, from a distance, I had noticed a display of very large old photographs in front of the Parliament building, and I really wanted to study them closely. I was informed that this display was the idea of the current Head of Parliament, Mrs. Josephina Topalli.

To my great surprise they depict politicians whose names I’m familiar with, since they were in government during the early days of my family, and I recognized some of them from similar photos that I inherited from those days.



The second stop was a visit to the new supermarket, of the Italian chain ‘Conad’, which is housed in one of newest business centers in Tirana, called, I believe, the European Tower.
The building houses several offices, banks, and the supermarket

One of the building 2 main entrances

Here I couldn’t resist buying some of my favorite Italian foods, which were carried home for me by the youngest member of my friends, a 16 year old, bright and excellent student, who at the age of 9 was known as the youngest Albanian painter, and now dreams of becoming an architect.


An ideal and relaxing day overall, indeed, among devoted friends!

No comments: