Saturday, November 04, 2006

Traveling to Tirana

The flight from NY was ready to depart and left the gate on time, but, had to park near the runway for another 1 1/2 hour before getting the ok to take off due to the clogged up air traffic. As per previous experience with Austrian Airline I felt pretty confident, however, that connecting in Vienna would not be a problem, and fellow Austrian passengers confirmed to me that the airline phases in the extra time at departure knowing the situation at JFK airport. Sure enough, we arrived in Vienna on time, and made the connection, as expected. Thus, here I am in Tirana again! It’s is unusually chilly and even windy, but the friends are always prepared to be warm and hospitable.

The planes are always almost fully booked these days, and, before departure, all sorts of seat exchanges do take place, with the hostesses’ help, to accommodate the passengers that were not lucky to sit together. It is the single passenger that usually obliges in this ritual, and this time it was my turn. I was happy to do so as long as the seat was on an aisle and I handed up in the center raw with 2 delightful Austrian young businessmen, who had just experienced for the first time a NY vacation.

The seat I gave up was to accommodate another couple of very young American men, who stood up in the crowd due to their being dressed in black leather and metals with their arms completely tattooed up to their necks. They were unhappy to have been separated and the one next to me was fretting about it like a child, while avidly reading a comic book. The hostess that provided the switch not only thanked me profusely, but even served me some Austrian chocolates, and from time to time checked that I was comfortable enough in the new seat. Never had such service in economy class before!

Austrian really stands out for me so far on the transatlantic flights for the courteous and efficient assistance, the good food, accompanied by free wine and wonderfully fresh hot small rolls that everyone asks seconds of, and the continuous service throughout the night of drinks every 2 hours on the clock! I also find its partner, Tyrolean Air, that services the European cities, very efficient, although is not liked by some because it charges for food and special drinks. There is really no need to eat on board during a 1 to 1 1/2 hour trip, however, if one plans accordingly. An Austrian chocolate ‘bon bon’, on the other hand, is always offered!

During this trip from Vienna to Tirana I noticed a rather large number of mature German businessmen, in addition to the usual crowd of Albanians that are returned visitors, for whatever reason. Many don’t think twice about traveling back home for a wedding, a funeral, or a birth in the family, and they are the ones that furnish millions of dollars worth of income to the country on an annual basis.

Now I must complete getting my apartment livable, connected, but I already have stacked it with food for myself and the visitors that, I know, I’ll have soon.

No comments: