Thursday, May 13, 2010

Trouble in the dog pen

The other day the caretakers of my two puppies, Pepe and Ina, informed me that this couple wasn't getting along well.

The original idea was to keep both brother and sister so they could enjoy each other's company, but Ina turned out to be a real pest. Superactive and aggressive all the time Ina would not leave Pepe alone, and became also very vocal.

After I observed this situation for a couple of days, I also came to the same conclusion, and reluctantly decided that the pair had to be split. Thus, Ina was donated to someone else, and Pepe is now roaming around undisturbed in my large yard.

The caretaker who donated the puppies is a very caring man. I communicate with him through several gestures due to lack of fluency in Albanian on my part. The other day he was busy building a wooden shack for Pepe so that he would be more comfortable during bad weather. He feeds him, bathes him, and cleans up after him, but I believe a regular vet check up is in order. Last evening, thanks to a local friend who also has a dog I learned of a good vet that she also uses, and it happens to be just a few blocks away from my premises. Everything in Albania is done through recommendation, so I gladly accepted to be introduced to him soon.

I see Pepe every day, but, unfortunately, don't have much time to spend with him. He is very playful and I can see that he responds to some commands. What is interesting is that when he is taken out of the pen and left loose in the yard, he does not venture out of the premises' perimeter, although he has many possibilities to do so. Even when passing dogs come close to the property he does not seem to mind.....and I wonder whether this is a good or bad sign. In any case I know he is a hunting dog.

No comments: