Monday, June 14, 2010

Switch of life style

The last week in Tirana was hectic. As usual, notwithstanding all my efforts to conclude plans and chores on time, I am affected by local circumstances, way of life, and people's habits.

When in Albania I have the distinct impression of not being in control of my time because I always have to wait for someone else, or for something else to happen before I can proceed with what I need or wish to do. Many, many times I experienced the same feeling also when in Italy. What I am referring to does not apply to vacation or pleasurable trips, when mind and body are set to relax and rest, but to ways of conducting any kind of business or related issues, which I've had to deal with for decades.

This is the exact opposite of how I live and function when in NY, where for over half a century I've grown accustomed to accomplish both personal and business plans in an organized, and efficient manner. European life is very different and more enjoyable since it includes a more even balance of work and pleasure. This is probably why many U.S. visitors cannot understand our harried daily way of living, which, by default, carries with it a greater amount of stress to which we all adapt to. Let's not underestimate that, during our daily activities, we also have the disadvantage of covering greater distances by the very nature of our geographical setting.

Overseas things get eventually done, but in a way that generate a different kind of hassle, for me actually an aggravation due to time constraints, the outcome of which, as a consequence, is less satisfying personally.

Notwithstanding all of the above, and having had to postpone again my return at the last minute, I've accomplished much of my planned undertakings also during this trip. The reentry was not uneventful, thanks to the incorrect performance by the airline employee that handled the rearrangement, but I am now back in my NY base, safe and sound.

No comments: