Saturday, June 22, 2013

Informal gathering



After a delightful weather that, here in Tirana, spanned from mid May to mid June, an intense heat wave has sprung from Africa northward into the Mediterranean countries, opening the summer season with vengeance. This has been going on for about a week now, and no relief is in sight, even during the nights. 

Like many, I avoid going out unless necessary and, thank goodness, I can also work from home, where I have a comfy air conditioned studio.

During the brief outings heat/sun exposure can be cut down by walking wherever is possible in the shade of the trees that, fortunately, line many boulevards in this city. Some of these trees are just 3 years old, as the following pictures can prove. 

On Thursday I planned a small, informal party to take place at the office in the evening hours, and most invitees did attend notwithstanding the weather condition. The air conditioning in our place, although not the greatest, adequately kept us from sweating while we were having a good time drinking, eating, and chatting. 
Everyone that attended played a part in my life since I returned to Albania 20 years ago, and I wanted to celebrate with them my latest birthday and the accomplishments reached so far during these past two decades. 

Thanks to modern technology, during our gathering we also had one of my dearest and loyal friend that is currently in NY, join us via Skype.   
 
 All in all everyone seemed to have enjoyed the evening and the food expertly prepared by a local, young planner and caterer (the specially ordered byreks were exceptional!).


No comments: