Monday, May 19, 2014

Rude awakening




At 3am this morning I found myself being swinging left and right within my large bed that was shaking all over.......

M 5.1 Earthquake
10km SW of Cerrik, Albania
5 hours ago – U.S. Geological Survey
An earthquake with magnitude 5.1 occurred near TIRANA, Albania at 00:59:21.30 UTC on May 19, 2014 ...the epicenter of the quake was 43 km south of Tirana, 30 km north-east of Fier and 5 km east of Lushnjes, with a depth of 10 km.   
No damage assessment so far.

I felt  3 separate, strong, distinct movements and a remote control made a noise in changing position on my night table.  

I have been in similar situations throughout my life, and have reacted differently every time. This time, since I was laying down I did not feel nauseated, as it did happen while sitting or standing.  Strangely, I remained supine in a very still position counting the shakes and feeling resigned that I could not do very much living on the 12th floor, except eventually positioning myself close to a building supporting wall.

What I also noticed, and was not surprised by, is that the stray dogs that usually roam the nearby park, began to bark in unison and their ‘scary concert’ lasted for quite a while. Needless to say, it was not a good night, and it is not a good omen to start a new work week!!






No comments: