Sunday, July 13, 2008

Albanian tourism

Although Albania is coming up in the world of tourism, it is a great surprise to find out, thanks to this blog, that it's still lacking an important facility such as marinas for pleasure crafts.

In May 2007, I pointed out here my amazement when I read that large cruise lines were beginning to stop along the southern shore, known as the Albanian riviera. Apparently, small vessels and private yachts,however, cannot be accommodated anywhere along the Albanian coast to date, contrary to Montenegro. When I toured that coast last April I thought for a while in fact of being back in Sardinia's "Costa Smeralda", especially in the beautiful bay of Kotor. An enormous number of beautiful yachts were completely lining the piers, from where the entrance to the old walled city was just a few feet away.

Albania has nice beaches and accommodations all along its coast from north to south, which are now getting crowded. I am told, in fact, that the inland Kosovars are becoming good customers, since they are now shunning Montenegro that has not yet officially recognized their independence.

No comments: