Friday, April 17, 2009

Small wonders.......

Believed it or not, today I, living abroad, had the pleasure of bringing an ‘Albanian friend’ on a tour of a modern ‘Albanian shopping center’. Sounds strange?? It feels like that to me!

My friend, who is a native, and lived most of her life in Tirana, but emigrated to the U.S. 2 years ago, has just returned to the country for a long visit. Knowing well that she would not be up to date on the many and, in some cases, extraordinary changes that have occurred in Albania during her above absence, I decided to invite her to go shopping with me this morning.

I specifically chose the new Casa Italia center, just completed last year in the outskirts of Tirana, also for easy of transport. This huge 5 story complex includes large parking facilities on 3 floors, and, once you complete your shopping you can easily reach your parked car, unload your purchases, and leave the empty cart in assigned places near the elevator banks.

I was right about her amazement. Although she was aware that life continues to rapidly change in Albania, she never visualized what she saw this morning. She kept remarking that these facilities are as equal as any in the U.S., spotless, with a full gamma of local and imported products, well organized, and efficiently serviced by an Albanian staff that is in full uniform, and, in most cases, is also tri-lingual.

I was so pleased that she was impressed since my hope was to offset a bit of her negativism of past life experiences in this country and reinforce instead some positive developments. I pointed out also some things and services that are typical European, and not usually available in the U.S supermarkets. These include a different way of cutting meat, and food preparation that is not already pre-packed. At the time of purchase in Italy, when you buy cold cuts, for instance, you can specifically ask to vacuum pack them for fresher, longer storage; and this service is also provided here on the spot.

In some of my previous posts I’ve also already remarked about the different flavor of imported foods, which, I am convinced, are much better tasting here since they have a shorter distance to travel from the closer European suppliers. Needless to say we both ended up buying quite a bit, rode home in style, and all this was done in just 2 hours, door to door!

BTW, the weather in Tirana has been beautiful since my arrival with 70 to 73 degrees temperatures at midday. Onward I go, and you keep tuned in!

No comments: