Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back in business

Pleasantly surprised, I received back my fixed desktop computer way ahead of schedule, and, naturally, I eagerly began to restore all my applications and data. Within 24 hours I am back in business on this machine and so far everything I loaded works like a charm.

As expected, the manufacturer returned the unit reloaded with the operating system (Windows Vista) that was originally furnished when I purchased it one year ago. Before adding my additional programs, and reconfiguring the peripheral equipment, I thus proceeded to update this OS, and was amazed to find that it needed to apply more than 100 updates to become current (all these changes in one year time!!). I ended up spending more time doing these updates (that require also many reboots) than reloading all the other applications I normally use. My data, thank goodness, remains readily available on my other offset media, where I usually store it.

Bottom line: all is well that ends well, and there is always a silver lining behind every cloud. In every situation such as this, and I've had a few in the past 20 years or so, there is always something new and interesting to learn. The unfortunate part is that one must have patience and time to convince suppliers that there is actually a problem, which requires their attention and it's their responsibility to fix it.

No comments: