Monday, April 28, 2008

Tirana musical

I had not been out recently in the evening, thus, last night it was a treat to walk in beautiful, clear air with a temperature just perfect for a stroll. When I reached the Opera house with my friends a large crowd was mulling around waiting to enter the theater, where the show "Moulin Rouge" was being featured in Albanian.



Here, a few years back I was a guest of other friends for an evening of opera, and the place was not spruced up as it is now. I don't know what the cost was then, but now we were fortunate to get excellent front line, orchestra seats (for a mere $15.00 a piece!). They, however, did not seem to have the number prominently displayed on them. It was an interesting, pre-curtain time, scene to watch many people exchanging seats, and rows, with the help of an usher who, with raised arms, had an act of her own going.











It was a wonderful performance with many talented singers and dancers. Their voices were excellent, but the music was too loud for my ears (I have the same problem at any Broadway musical in NYC!). I found it intriguing, though, to listen to the Albanian version of a well known story; although I could not understand every word, I was impressed by the beautiful flow of the rimes of the sung arias. The show went on, without intermission, for 2 1/2 hours.



At the end of such a pleasant day, it was impossible to refuse a drink offered by my friends at the highest spot in Tirana. Thus, we went to the rotating bar on top of the round, so called "Sky Tower" and enjoyed a gorgeous 360 view of the city at night, especially in such a clear evening. Will have to return again during the day to be able to take some pictures, however.

No comments: