Saturday, October 28, 2006

Washington

I did spend a few, busy days in Washington, which is always a beautiful city to be in, even when it rains, which it did during my recent stay.

Instead of the usual train or air shuttle, this time I decided to make the round trip via a new special bus line. It turned out to be a very comfortable 4 hour drive, at a low cost, and included a good movie along the way. I’m lucky to have good, long term friends that always host me there and also shuttled me around town in their car.

The Albanian Embassy, where I had a very cordial meeting, has not changed much. Have been in it several times in the past on a variety of occasions. It’s an old style Washingtonian mansion, with a round wooden staircase to the upper floors and fireplaces almost in every room, including the small 1st floor lobby, and well located in the fashionable North-West part of the city, in the midst of several other foreign embassies.

Having a meeting at the State Department may sounds like an intimidating affair, but I always found it to be an easy and friendly occurrence. Even with today’s increased security measures, the entire process of being admitted into this enormous complex is so clean cut, quiet and well organized, and carried out so competently, that it works like a charm. I cannot help thinking how very different similar occurrences have been in other countries I’ve dealt with. Here one is welcomed and helped at every step of the way with cordial and friendly greetings….and it goes to show that the American state employee surely knows who pays his salary!

More traveling is coming up for me, and my next news will be forthcoming again from Tirana, Albania

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aha! Looking forward to seeing you back in Tirana neighbour!