Wednesday, April 07, 2010

72 years ago.....

on this day, April 7th, it was Good Friday, and the life of my family was totally destroyed by the events of WWII.

As a baby I don't remember much of that day, although I've vague memories of rumbling of cannons and looking at the sky where a military air fleet was flying above Tirana, dropping leaflets asking the population to surrender.

The days that followed were very chaotic, and Tirana became a ghost town for a while. My father chose the road to exile, as most people did then. My mother, I, my nanny, and our dog remained in our house, which, soon after, was confiscated to be used as the general headquarter of the Italian Army that occupied the country.

Much history has gone by since then, lots of which is being documented for the future generations not to forget.

1 comment:

Sky said...

What happened to you and your family, sounds so traumatic....