Saturday, April 24, 2010

Saturday tasks

This is the first Saturday since I am in Tirana that I could dedicate mostly to domestic needs.

My cleaning lady came yesterday, and she left me a spotlesss apartment, as usual, at the end of the four hours it takes her to do all chores, at a price that in NY would cover only one hour! I offered her a bit more for a bathroom rug she took home to wash last week, but she firmly and politely declined and added a big smile!

Speaking of rugs, I might add that a local laundry specialty service also picked up, cleaned, and re-delivered back within a week, a large woolen rug I own, and didn't use for a long time, for a mere $12.00!

Yesterday, I also had 2 small venetian blinds and one large roller shade installed in my new apartment, and the total labor cost amounted to $9.00. After I chose the materials and colors in their beautiful store, the company went out of its way to have one of their workers that spoke Italian come to do the measuring and the installation so that I would feel more comfortable. Since the apartment cleaning was going on at the same time, everything was done quickly, efficiently and no trace of dust was left from the drilling.

It rained during the night, but this morning while a batch of laundry was drying out in the balcony, I went out to shop locally for food. All I have to do is to walk across one of the small pedestrian bridges of the Lana canal and within 1/2 hour I purchased all I needed.

At the intersection of a couple of small streets (visible from my balcony) there is small park where every morning many elderly people congregate to relax. The men usually occupy two round tables to play cards, while the women exchange news on the benches.

Many are the shops in this area, and a full size produce 'bazaar' is just nearby.

Let me tell you what I bought today. All veggies just out of the ground for a few hours and meats freshly cut and put together (in a gorgeous butcher shop!). Six zucchini, 6 large scallions, 6 carrots, 1 large head of green salad, 1 cauliflower, 1 huge loaf of dark bread, 1 bottle of red wine (from the town of Permet), 2 chicken breasts and 6 round, freshly made, veal burgers (called 'qofte'). My total food bill this morning was $16.15.

It's afternoon now, and under the shade of the trees that now display their baby green foliage, someone is resting.

As I zero in with my camera I notice the luggage used as a headrest. It must be one of the many backpack young tourists that I have noticed around Tirana, where they use quite a few hostels.

The rest of my afternoon will be spent visiting the mother and aunt of one of the people I deal with in business. They wanted to meet me and I've been invited to their home across town.

No comments: