Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dog days....

While Tirana is changing for the better in many ways, one sore sight is the presence of stray dogs everywhere. Some roam around the garbage disposal bins, or sleep in sunny spots along some quiet old streets, just like a few homeless people that are also present in this city. Others boldly travel in large groups, criss crossing the boulevards, and dodging their way through the heavy vehicular traffic that barely misses them.

The other day a strange sound of a cry reached me through the open windows while I was doing some computer work. I was appalled by the scene in a nearby empty lot of one dog being viciously attacked by the rest of its gang.


Dog owners in this city seem to prefer small pooches; at least, this is what I have noticed being walked so far, while the roaming ones are usually larger in size.

Today I received, instead, a pleasant surprise when I entered my property. The people that take care of it, having learned that I love dogs and haven't had one since I was a child, presented me with some lovely puppies, recently born in the household of some friends of theirs.

Two of them were destined to me, while the 3rd went to a young neighbor. They assured me that they had been checked by a vet and found healthy, and wanted me to name them.

My pair is both brown and white. Unaware and unconcerned about their breed I was thrilled to see them cheerfully playing with my shoelaces, and thanks to the gentle suggestion of a friend, I choose their names.

And here they are: 'Pepe' the male (on the right), and 'Ina' the female (on the left)!

its' hard to keep them still for a pix...

No comments: