Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter Day

Friends drove me out of Tirana to a new restaurant, opened recently, seeemingly in the middle of nowhere, by an owner they had patronized previously elsewhere in town.

peaceful countryside setting wih grazing cows and old bunkers around...




He opened this one near the 'lagune' where excellent fish is caught fresh every day. A quick call was made ahead to make sure that they had the latest catch available. Sure enough the all fish lunch was absolutely delicious!

For an opening a small calzone filled with tiny shrimps in a cream sauce, was served, followed by a 'risotto ai frutti di mare' (mixed seafood), then a variety of 4 different types of fish, perfectly grilled and accompanied by a dish of grilled vegetables. As a desert a delectable new kind (for me) of sweet, made with sugary shredded wheat and cream. The whole lunch was accompanied by fresh, pure water from a local well and a good bottle of red, locally produced, wine.

By 4pm we were heading back to Tirana, but stopped at the newest shopping mall, called CityPark, where I was able to refurnish myself of bottled water and the rice milk I use. This place is immense; it includes an ice skating ring, and every European store you can think of is represented here.





miniature model of the entire complex - at right

Back at my own apartment, we all sat down to share a delighfully light cake gifted to me in the morning, and I was ready to offer with it a glass of good Italian 'Prosecco' I had cooling off in the fridge since yesterday.

We chit chatted for over 2 hours and were joined by other (Muslim) friends, who came 'armed' with a huge Italian Easter 'Colomba'. The son of that family, who will graduate next year in Jurisprudence from Rome's University, is in town for a holiday break and wanted to say hello to me again.

It was a pleasant an restful day for me, spent in lovely company. Here everyone respects each other religious afffiliation and there are no conflicts of sorts, including intermarriages among faiths.

2 comments:

nousha said...

Hi
I'm glad u are enjoying ur time in Tirana. As I am also new in town, I would love it if you can send me more info on the location of this restaurant, and if possible any available contacts.
Thanks a lot.

© DAI - 2004-2014 said...

Hi Nousha:
sorry to be late in responding, but needed to find out the info you requested. I had enjoyed the day, but didn't pay much attention to its location.
Now I can tell you that the restaurant is named "Laguna e Vjeter" and is the village of Gurrez (between Lac and Lezha). Hope this helps, and, if you go, enjoy!