Sunday, April 25, 2010

Southern Albania

Peter Mandel's article, "A Taste of Albania", that appeared on the StarTribune.com of Minneapolis yesterday whets my appetite too to visit the Southern part of Albania, known as the Albanian riviera.

One of these days I hope to make it down there, but not for a few hours only. It takes at least a couple of days to get a feel for this part of the country that offers, I am told, both beautiful seashore and mountain sites, as well as bountiful agricultural products, in addition to the historical antiquities.

Way back in the early 1930's, my paternal uncle, whose hobbies were archaeology and photography, did a detailed study of the ancient ruins of Butrint, now a UNESCO World Heritage site. This report, rich of pictures taken and developed by him, is saved in Albania's National Archives, and I should go and dig it out before visiting this site.

on this stage modern performances are taking place now during the summer

I had several occasions to make a quick trip there, but decided to go when I'd have a bit more time at my disposal.

Traveling by car from Tirana now, when most of the roads have been fixed and repaired, it takes about six hours, thus, an overnight stay is a must for me. At my age, and used as I am having to meet deadline most of the time, I don't want to look at the clock while touring around; I like to fully enjoy sightseeing at my own pace. Hope that day comes soon.

No comments: