Friday, April 02, 2010

Traveling to Albania

I was hoping to be back online soon after my arrival in Albania, but a set of circumstances disallowed me from using not only the high speed connection I have available here, but also my computer for over a week. That boils down to technical starvation for me , but the expected move of residence took precedence over everything else when I arrived in Tirana.

As usual, notwithstanding all my planning, when in Europe one must go with the local flow, and adapt to all sorts of situations because life is lived quite differently everywhere in the old continent.

In NY, check in at Lufthansa went smoothly, as accustomed to. I paid the difference for my 2nd valise, as now expected, and my luggage was handled as “priority’ thanks to my ‘silver’ age! I was really loaded, carrying heavy stuff that included my new notebook, wireless keyboard, and a deskjet printer/scanner/copier, plus all the paraphernalia of cables, adapters, and other technical accessories. The plane’s doors closed on time, and we rolled on the tarmac for about half hour before liftoff.

As I was waiting to board at JFK I noticed that the all German crew presented itself at the gate 1 ½ hour before departure and waited like everyone else for the appropriate staff to let them embark. All 16 of them, more men than women, were extremely efficient, throughout the entire flight, which was pretty full. The Airbus (A340-600) is the newest craft in their fleet and the longest plane in service today. It allows a bit more leg room and is much more comfortable than any other plane I have used before.

The young woman that occupied the window seat next to me made me a bit uncomfortable when she began to cough and blow her nose constantly, but right across from me there were 2 empty seats, located right against the top of the stairs leading to the lower floor, which obviously attracted my attention. As soon as the boarding was completed the steward prompted me to move, and in doing so I occupied the new seats 2 seconds before a big blond, German lady, who made herself quite noticeable even at the airport, was also aiming at them. By the end of the trip she actually changes seat location six times.

Arrival at Munich was 25” ahead of time, and I was whisked to the connecting gate via a mobile unit in no time. Two other attendants took care of me when time came to board the connecting flight to Tirana, 2 ½ hours later. I was allowed the use of an elevator to avoid the many stairs, and they also drove me by car directly to the other small plane, operated by Lufthansa CitiLine, which is always parked at the very edge of Munich airport.

I boarded this plane ahead of everyone else, but, unfortunately, this is not a very comfortable flight, because of the cramped conditions. These local flights are always fully loaded, and carrying luggage space on board is practically nil. Everyone has at least one piece that can fit only between the legs during the 1 ½ hour ride.

Finally, in perfect time, I arrived in Albania, tired because I didn’t sleep during the night, but safe and sound, and was met by the friends that drove me to Tirana in no time.

As I am writing this, a huge, full moon is showing its face through one of the windows of my new residence. But more about the latter will follow in other posts. Here both the sun and the moon seem so much closer than in NY for some reason. The same closeness can be said about the environment and the people here that are quite friendly and approachable everywhere you go. Hurrah for Albania!

No comments: